4 replies to this topic

#1 wolfpack

wolfpack

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:48 PM

I wanted to share a story about my fantasy hockey league that blew my mind, and frankly, made me wonder about why certain things happen.

I have played in the same fantasy hockey league for 15 years (Hockey Hitman can attest to this :D  ). In 2001, one of our owners was killed during the attacks of 9/11. He was working in one of the twin towers. His name was Larry Sumaya. Google his name and you will see all sorts of stories about him. The following season we renamed our league the Larry Sumaya Memorial Fantasy Hockey League (LSMFHL). Its a mouthful but we felt it was something we all wanted to do in order to honor his tragic passing. We also recruited another owner the following year to take his place.  

Fast forward to this year and the additional owner that was added back in 2002 is at a Rangers came with one of our co-commissioners and he shares this story:

“So the other night I was going over the scores from the NHL and looking over fantasy hockey stuff when my long time girlfriend finally asks me what LSMFHL stands for. I explain the story about Larry and when I finish I see a shocked look on her face. She says she knew Larry Sumaya and that she used to sit next to him at work in the world trade center. She had worked late the night before 9/11 and was planning on going into work around 10:00. The planes hit the buildings early that morning and so she was spared.”

Needless to say we were all floored by this story. I’m a big believer in the world being a very small place, but this is almost beyond belief. I’d like to think it was Larry’s way of saying thanks for renaming the league and to let us know he’s still watching hockey. :) 

wolfpack

#2 fukufuji

fukufuji

Franchise Chinchilla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:06 PM

Holy heavy batman. What are the odds for a story to come full circle like that. She probably walked by his cube a time or two while he was setting up his team in that leauge.

most statistically average chinchilla ever

-lovebyz

#3 KingsFan24

KingsFan24

Charter Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:50 PM

That is just crazy. Wow.

Fighting for the rights of gifs.

#4 frozenboards

frozenboards

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationGrosse Ile, Michigan

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:06 AM

Wow, what a small and sometimes crazy world.  

#5 The Hockey Hitman

The Hockey Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,453 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:14 PM

Thank you for sharing this, Wolfpack. This is the kind of thing that could be spun into a two hour movie!! Truly a noteworthy tale. Had to share abroad and tonight after sharing with Dobber he mentions it in his daily ramblings section. 

Will never cease to amaze how many interesting/remarkable stories have been told in reference to the 9/11 tragedy. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users